To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 rangefinder problem
From: doctorc8@stout.entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:25:49 -0700

>The rangefinder on my M3 -- an early DS without the frame selection lever --
>lacks contrast and it is often difficult to "find" the shadow image,
>especially in low light.  The rangefinder rectangle within the viewfinder
>appears "spotted" at times, especially when looking into the light.  The
>appears to be some sort of "crud" on the glass when looking into the small
>rangefinder window from the front.  In all other respects, the camera is in
>great shape.
>
>Is this a normal aging problem??  Any ideas?  Also, does anyone have
>experience with repairs in the Philadelphia area or is Leica US the only way
>to go.  If anyone has had experience with this sort of a problem and has an
>idea of the cost to fix it, that would be great.
>
>Steve Kobrin

Steve,

It probably is the silver on the mirrored surface of the rangefinder prism
which is flaking off.  I recently took a CL into John Van Stelten in
Louisville, CO.  He told me that it is not worth having the prism
re-silvered.  The most expedient fix is to replace the prism which costs
$175 (his guess) plus labor which he estimates at $75.

Henry

Replies: Reply from lynn vavra <hbedu014@dewey.csun.edu> (Re: M4 slow shutter speeds - kaput)