To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica M grips reviewed
From: "Antony Soicher" <asoicher@aztec.co.za>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 11:15:06 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <asoicher@aztec.co.za>

I just returned from the USA where I picked up 2 M-grips for my
M4-P's. They are sold by Tamarkin & co. but are also available from
shops like Profoto in NY city. The price is pretty steep - about $89
each (maybe not high by Leica standards)  but they are extremely well
made, uncomplicated and an absolute pleasure to use. The additional
size & weight were negligible.

When mounted onto the baseplate they provide a centered tripod socket
 and don't have to be removed for changing of film. A small grip runs
along the front left (when facing the lens) side of the camera.
I often shoot for lengthy periods especially when doing street photography and the
comfort factor alone when carrying the camera makes these worthwhile.

My only complaint is that they obstruct the goggles of the 135mm f2.8
lens so the grip must be removed when mounting or removing this lens
but since I use the lens infrequently the grips are now 'permanent'
fixtures on my cameras.

I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Antony Soicher
Johannesburg, South Africa

Antony Soicher
asoicher@aztec.co.za