To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Super Angulon "Bigger Picture"
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 10:51:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Ken Wilcox wrote:

> Tom:
>
> I found one of the references in my literature to the larger negative
> rendered by the Super Angulon 21mm f3.4.
>
> From "The Leica Book" 1971 by Theo Kisselbach:
>
>         Pictures taken with Super-Angulon can be recognized on the Leica
>         film by their larger size exceeding the normal pictures by a few
>         tenths of a mm. The gaps between the negatives are therefore
>         narrower.
>
> I know I have seen this mentioned other places, but can't find them.
>
> If you examine yur Leica M inside the back door, you wil find that the film
> does not press against the aparture at the rear of the shutter, but rests
> on film rails and is in fact held a few tenths of a mm away from the
> opening.
>
> Cheers!
>
> kw
>
> ----
> Ken Wilcox                                Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
> Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
> 600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423
> <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>

It has been observed that the wideangle lenses on 35mm focal plane
shutter cameras often give a slightly larger frame on the film.
The wide angle causes image to creep under the shutter. My
Hologon Ultrawide camera with 15mm f/8 lens makes frames that
actually butt each other. Tough printing, as you don't want to
cut anything out. Ed Meyers