To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Aspherical vs ASPH
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:27:38 -0700

At 09:58 AM 6/5/96 -0700, you wrote:

>All you state is interesting, Eric, but it is dangerous to extrapolate from
>work done between M & R lenses.

Extrapolate? What? All I know is my own experience, that the 35 Summicron is
a great lens, but the Summilux R is a phenomenal lens. And reports from many
people are the ASPH is even better. The question, I believe, was is there a
difference that's visible? Is it worth the investment? In my case, I can
only say it will be some day, but for me, right now, I don't need to have
the extra stop, so I'm biding my time 'til I'm financially more able to
justify the ASPH.

And why should it be any more dangerous to extrapolate between the M and R
35mm lenses, than say, between Nikon or Canon, or Canon L series and non L
series lenses? Comparisons (based on field work, not charts hanging on the
basement wall) are valuable for those who want to know.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier