To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re:CL
From: doctorc8@stout.entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:37:03 -0700

>Subject: Re: Leica 90mm for CL
>
>>Hans Pahlen wrote:
>
>>Many Cl cameras have a bad contrast (deteriorates with age) in the measuring
>>field of the rangefinder, and are difficult to focus. Hope yours is OK...
>
>Gary Stahl wrote:
>
>This sounds like one of those dubious tales floated by those who have
>never been able to accept the lowly CL as being a "real Leica".  The CL was
>built by Minolta for Leitz to Leitz specification and with Leitz supervision.
>The viewfinder and rangefiner use the same technology as the M-4.  I don't
>quetion that some may loose contrast, but I doubt that a CL is any more likely
>to do so than an M-4 or M-5 on the same period.

Gary,
I just had the rangefinder prism on a CL replaced.  (These are
pricey--$175; plus $80 labor.)  The mirrored surface does degenerate,
flaking off over a period of time.  I was told by the person who did the
work (John Van Stelten) that this is a common occurence in the CL.  The
prism in the M's are apparently better made.
Henry