To: "'leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: RE: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #101
From: Paul Collura <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:29:16 -0400

----------
From: 	Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us[SMTP:Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 19, 1996 3:01 AM
To: 	leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 	Leica-Users List Digest V1 #101

Leica-Users List Digest      Wednesday, 19 June 1996      Volume 01 : Number 101

------------------------------

From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk (Mark Bishop)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:42:38 +0100
Subject: Mamiya M7 vs Leica M6to replace the M6?

Second, although I am tempted by the notion of a medium-format camera I have
tried the M7 and found it to have a major flaw: the metering is separate to the
viewing and taking systems. Thus it does not alter its angle of view according
to the lens used: with the 43mm fisheye it is a virtual spotmeter, with the 150m
telephoto (and, it is rumoured, longer lenses to follow shortly) it actually
meters some of the surroundings as well. To my mind this is acceptable if you
have only one lens (ideally the 65mm) but makes a mockery of the automation when
a range of lenses are used.

I would also add that if the metering is separate from the taking system one cannot use filters with ease.  I believe filters, especially a polarizing filter, are mandatory for landscape photography.

Paul T. Collura

application/ms-tnef

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: Polarizing Filters on Rangefinders..)