To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron
From: Hans Pahlen <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:07:58 -0700

J. Redfern wrote:

> > The difference is that version III
> >produces marginally less shadow detail.
>
>         To my knowledge, there is one thing and one thing only that is
> responsible for shadow detail and that is exposure. In no way does a lens inherent contrast "increase shadow detail".
> Jae

Jae, please calm down a little before you junk your darkroom... Did you notice that I was talking about slides!
With a slide film, you will exposure for the highlights, and nothing else. Your choice of film and optics will
MARGINALLY influence what you get in the shadows. Yes it is possible to over- or underexposure some color
reversal films by 2-3 stops, and still get acceptable results, but now we are discussing the SAME exposure
using two different lenses. Hope I have made myself clear enough.

BTW, Jonathan Eastland shows this in his book "Leica M Compendium", where he publish two pictures of the same
object. One is taken with Summarit 50/1,5 and the other with Summicron 50/2. (page 96+4).
/Hans