To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summicron 50: Bad design of sun shade and lens cap.
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 08:45:06 +0200

>A year ago I got the newest Summicron 50mm with the integrated sun shade
>and the new lens cap. As far as I can tell the sun shade is really too
>small and collapses too easily when pushed offering not enough
>protection of the front lens element. And rain and snow (I live at 70'
>North) reaches the front lens element too easily.
>
>In addition, the lens cap falls off all the time due to a locking
>mechanism made from weak plastic. When I grab the M6 from the bag, and it
>comes up without the lens cap, I am never sure if its in the bag or on
>the ground.
>
>Optically it is a great lens. But I want the old sun shade and cap back.
>

>Otto
>Tromso, Norway

Interesting information. I bought last year a Summilux 1.4/35mm ASPH which
has a solid, lightweight sunshade. The thing is badly engineered and gets
off the lens very easily. I complained with Leica who gave me a new sunshade
but this did not resolve the problem as it is structural.

As there are already many adjustments to be made at the M6 before making a
picture (as compared to an everything automatic SLR) more time waisted, by
reinstalling the sunshade before being able to push the releasebutton, is
not really contributing to informal, candid pictures.

But the Summilux 1.4/35mm is a really  e x c e l l e n t   lens.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX
                   CH-1009 PULLY