To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Auto focussing
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:32:30 -0700

At 07:24 AM 7/24/96 PDT, you wrote:
>Eric Welch says that the new R8 will not have AF; did anyone see the ads for
>the new Contax whose film crate moves to focus, thus allowing the use of
>non-AF lenses?
>
>Sounds like ingenious thinking to me.
>
>Anyone had a chance to handle this? Is the bulk greatly increased?
>
>Now why didn't Leitz think of that......

First of all, what do I know? <G> It's what I've heard from someone who
tells me he's seen one. (Major magazine editor who will remain anonymous, I
promised).

The AX, as a matter of fact, I've head from two people, WAS in part Leica's
thinking. Seems Leica and Contax were consulting on this subject behind the
scenes. So my bets are that the Correfot is in part buried down in there.

But I still don't think the R8 is going to be it. It will take a while for
Leica to adapt the technology for themselves. Thought, again, that's just
what I'm guessing. A few people on Compuserve have used the AX, and they all
love it, though they say it's bigger than a Nikon F4. They say it works very
well, but then, it's the only choice for AF with Contax lenses. And they say
it isn't too much of a hassle to have to manuall focus the lens down when
you want to focus up close with long lenses. They also say it's quiet, and
fast. So it may just be the future for Leica - R9? R8-af?

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.