To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: in and out of focus
From: kabir@hsmpk14a-103.Eng.Sun.COM (Ihtisham Kabir)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:56:57 -0700

Much has been said about how easy it is to focus the Leica
quickly.

I have a problem when I try to focus my Leica quickly on a
rapidly moving subject (such as my 4-year old running toward
me.) It is very hard to tell whether I am turning the lens
in the direction as I try to focus.

When using a MF SLR camera in such a situation, the entire
viewfinder goes in and out of focus as I turn the lens. Also
- and here is the crucial difference - if I am turning the lens
in the wrong direction I know it instantly because the viewfinder
blurs more and then I turn the other way, eventually tripping
the shutter as soon as the subject comes into focus. (It feels like
I can do this faster than my AF camera.)

I find I cannot focus as quickly with the Leica in a dynamic situation.
If anyone can answer these questions it will be a big help:

Can you really focus the Leica faster than a MF SLR in a dynamic
situation (subject, camera, or both moving) ?

If you know how to do this, is there a trick or two that you use
that you might want to share?

Any ideas on how to focus quickly in bright light, where it becomes
even harder to discern the rangefinder spot?

Thanks very much for any help.

- Ihtisham