To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Darkroom advice sought
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:57:36 -0700

At 10:58 AM 7/29/96 PDT, you wrote:

>Can anyone give me a run down on what is the optimal technology for today
>(do those sheet fed processors produce good quality?) and what's a good
>enlarger.  The Leitz Focomat looks appealing, but seems way expensive.
>
>I might consider printing from color slides on color paper too, though my
>first interest is B&W. Straight prints rather than electronic manipulation
>are my primary goal.

As a former owner of the V35, and a long-time user of a IC, I can say in my
opinion, the V35 is a superb instrument. And you can often find them used
for $1,200. The other advantage for your case is, the filters are
interchageable. Buy one now with the VC head in it, and you get infinitely
variable contrast. And the autofocus on those babies are perfect.

For optimal printing, don't use the motorized "activator" machines. Maybe
ones that use convnetional chemistry with paper that doesn't have developer
incorporated in the emulstion will work, but I love using a tray and
watching the prints come up. And you can get experience and be able to
judges development as you watch, at least for work prints. They need to be
dry to judge for final prints.

If you don't want to spend that much, get a IC, but you will be losing a lot
of functionality that leaves you printing and not fiddline with the enlarger.

That's my two cents worth.
Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.