To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Incomplete Serial Numbers
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 96 17:03 EDT

>I agree with Jack Campin (though I find Ritz an okay outfit).  The practice
>of giving incomplete s/n is shaky, at best.  Either don't give one at all,
>or give us the whole thing.

As someone who ALWAYS only relates the first four digits of a leica serial
number I'm at a bit of a loss as to why some would find the practice
objectionable.
        The first four digits allow one to date the lens or camera body
and, as far as I know, the remainder does not add any further information.
        A friend in the insurance business warned me against publicly
advertising full serial numbers as there have been cases of bogus claims
made using "appropriated" serial numbers on faked invoices. This could
obviously complicate and slow down the processing of any claim made for
equipment that has already been claimed as lost or stolen.
        On the other hand,should one be in the position of purchasing an
item sight unseen from a stranger, I for one would be a little turned off
if the seller were to be less than forthcoming with a full serial number
and would almost certainly back off from the deal.
        If the remaining digits are able to convey any other info' from
that gleaned from the first four digits, I would be interested to be
informed.
Thanks,
J.Redfern