To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Incomplete Serial Numbers
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 17:21:20 -0400

Jae

Your point may be true for Canada but, I don't believe, for the US.  I can
fabricate a serial number without a problem if I'm going to file a fake
claim.  Having a 'real' number wouldn't help a bit, especially with
companies such as Zeiss, Leica, Canon, Nikon, Rollei, and the like where the
company will not reveal which number goes with which item or, with
Voigtlander or Zeiss Ikon, where the data has been destroyed.  Besides, if
some other sucker wants to file a bogus claim using a number on one of my
lenses, so be it.  That's between him, his conscience, the insurance
company, God, and the legal system.  Thankfully, I'm not involved.

There is no reason NOT to give the full number unless you have hot
merchandise and are unwilling to reveal your ownership of the same.  If you
are willing to reveal the full number, there are those who will always be a
bit suspicious.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!