To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Exakta
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 08:15:38 -0400

Back in the 60s my first reflex was an East German SLR called the Exakta. Is
Exakta still a player in the German camera business? There was also the
Praktica. Could someone catch me up on these outfits. My Exakta (Ithagee,
Dresden) was the first model whose shutter dial didn't spin when making an
exposure. Many lenses were available for the Exakta, as I recall. A junior
version of the Exakta was available for under $100, known as the Exa. It was
an interesting era, very affordable for young people breaking into
photography. I believe that the Exakta design predated WWII. For a number of
years it was the only SLR on the market, with the scientific market as its
major source of income. SLRs didn't catch on until Nikon hit its stride, I
understand. Leica disdained making an SLR for many years, depending on the
Visaflex accessory way to SLR work.

Bob Rosen