To: beamon@primenet.com
Subject: Exakta and Leica
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:18:07 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

<<You had to stretch and confer to Bob's post, aspects that were not
mentioned
or even hinted at by the writer. If pointing out blatant disregard for the
List's goals is bullying, c'est la vie, mon ami. --Roger Beaman>>

Roger,

To quote the concluding and summary sentence from my original post:

<I understand. Leica disdained making an SLR for many years, depending on the
Visaflex accessory way to SLR work.>

We are interested in this list in exploring the difference in mindset between
RF and SLR thinking, as well as hardware. We aren't engineers but
photographers. Psychology plays an important part in our lives and art. Why
we or a manufacturer chooses to produce one type of camera over another, with
its lens systems and other features, has ramifications for us. This
distinction is what motivated me in bringing up the history of the Exakta. It
changed my way of thinking about photography at the time I bought it. Now
I've returned to RF. I'm exploring why I changed in my outlook.

As a responsible writer and copy editor I've discovered that the most
abstract subject can be understood and discussed by everyone if it is
presented in concrete terms. I don't use cubbyhole thinking because it smacks
of sterile bureaucracy and legalism, which doesn't belong in the civil
society where ordinary folks meet to talk about what interests them. I play
in the ball park, of course. It's baseball here.
Chess someplace else. Tennis down the block. Obviously I'm not using a tennis
racket when I come up to bat. And I don't move pawns when I play shortstop.
INHO the Exakta, the Leica RFs and the Leica Rs can be comparatively
discussed usefully and with revelation in that spirit.

Bob

Bob