To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 21/3.4 Super-Angulon Flare
From: danielk@wharton.upenn.edu (Kermit Daniel)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:52:32 -0500

I have a 21/3.4 Super-Angulon that I use on my M2.  It produces just
noticable to pronounced flare depending on how challenging the lighting is.
For example, there is noticable flare with exposed light bulbs at night,
pronounced flare shooting someone in a dark room in front of a large window
on a very bright day.  It is fine with most subjects.  Is this a feature of
the lens design, or is it likely that it could be improved by cleaning?  If
so, about what should I expect to spend?  Mechanically, the lens appears to
be in very fine shape.  I mostly shoot black and white in these situations
and often I don't mind the flare --- it sure makes bright things look
bright --- so it isn't worth a lot to me to fix it.  On the other hand, I
use this lens a lot.  I've started thinking of a 50mm lens as telephoto.

I realize it's hard to pass judgement on a lens based on a written
description, but I would appreciate any information at all.   This may
help:  I have several lenses, all manufactured in the early 60s to mid 70s,
and this is the only one that would prompt me to write asking about flare.

On a related topic, I don't have a finder for this lens.  They seem very
expensive --- a sure sign I'm not yet fully assimilated into Leica culture
--- but there seem to be different finder options.  What is the cheapest
option, and is it too cheap?  I don't care too much about asthetics, but I
do care about durability and optical quality.

Thanks.