To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #161
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 13:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have been a life-long fan of Leica optics, using M2s and M3s when I was a
photojournalist in the 70's.  Today I have an M6 with 4 lenses.

But, I've never cared for R series camera bodies, even though I know that R
lenses are as good if not in many cases superior to their M series cousins.

The R8 changes the equation.  I was in Europe last week and spoke at length
with someone who'd attended Photokina and spent some time with the R8.  He
had exceptionally positive comments.  I've also read most of what's appeared
here and on the net.

So, this morning I visited my favourite dealer and he tells me that he has
his first two R8s coming in in about 3-4 weeks; one for the store owner, and
one for me -- if I want it.  Further supply will be toward Xmas.  To make
matters "worse", he has a mint Leica demo 100mm f/2.8 APO Macro with full
warrenty that just arrived (one of the lenses which I have always lusted
after, the other being the 35mm f/1.4R).

Decission time.  I'm curious what people think about the prices.  The R8
will cost me $2,600, and the mint 100mm f/2.8 APO will cost $2,175.  A new
35mm f/1.4 will cost $2,600, rounding out the basic system.  (All in $US).

Is anyone else considering getting an R8?  How do these prices compare?

My dealer is holding the R8 and 100 APO until Monday or Tuesday for me to
make a decission.  My F4 system may just have to find a new home!

Cheers,

Michael

Replies: Reply from Bert Keuken <bert.keuken@pi.net> (Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #161)