To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #160
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 08:54:31 -0400

At 12:01 AM 17/08/96 -0700, you wrote:

>The Minolta SRT series had a reputation among professional photographers who
>actually USE cameras at work as built like tanks. I see people using them
>even today. And sure many of minolta's pieces are not terribly rugged. They
>have pretty much abaondoned the pro market with the demise of the XK. But
>they do have one pro quality camera in their lines at all times, and many
>pros use them.

Eric,

Not to belabour the Minolta discussion much further, but here's an
interesting anecdote.

Back in the 70's I was working as staff photographer for a major TV network.
I used their M Leica and Nikon F gear (which I do again today), but I left
the network to work freelance in the film industry.  I was broke, (divorce)
and so simply started using the Minolta SRT101 (which I'd had from my
student days in the '60's) on some production shoots.  I bought several
extra lenses and bodies and pretty soon had a complete system... even added
an XK after a while.

I left the film industry a few years later, but some half dozen major motion
pictures, two TV mini-series, dozens of magazine spreads and several covers,
as well as a 150+ page photo book all came out of my trusty Minolta SRT
system.  Also, never had an equipment failier with Minolta gear!

I have no experience with current Minolta cameras, but have very fond
memories of my SRTs and XK.

Michael