To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #207
From: feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 11:29:33 +0900 (JST)
Cc: leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

> I had the opportunity to test an M6 recently. The pictures seemed
> to display a certain emotive quality.

> They have a penetrating quality.

Yes, I, too, have noticed that special quality.  Somehow the lenses have
the ability to make the subject pop out from the background in an uncanny
way.  This often gives subjects an existential quality; it shows
individuals as very much alone in the world in the midst of -- and even in
spite of -- all sorts of connections.  This possibly encourages us to
identify with and sympathize with the subjects, and to project ourselves
into the photographs we see and thereby increase their importance to us.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of focus, because at high apertures
backgrounds are often in focus along with the subject.  It doesn't seem to
be a matter of sharpness, because some of the lenses aren't all that sharp
while some inferior Japanese lenses are very sharp yet don't have the same
emotive quality; rather it seems to be an ability to differentiate planes
somehow or to somehow create the illusion of three dimensions in a
two-dimensional medium more so than is true of other lenses.

Rather than *specifications* Leica lenses truly do have *character*. As
hard as that variable is to scientifically quantify and replicate, to the
frustration of many, it is no less true despite what some would have us
believe.