To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M5 is not a dog. Was Re: CL vs CLE features?
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 08:56:25 -0600

Fred,

I share your opinions of the CL. However, I am a little disappointed that
you do not like the M5, which is to the M4 what a Tiger tank was to the
Panther.

I know that it is rather large and heavy. However, it has several features
that I like: 1. no 28mm frame, 2. self timer, and 3. robust, bottom-plate
film rewind. I also like the galvanometer-based lightmeter display, which is
a great pain to service, per John Van Stelten.

My camera has seen a lot of use by a professional. However, it is still very
reliable and a pleasure to use when I get tired of the M6. Once in a while I
like to use it just because it is different and few people recognize it.

I bemoan the fact that the prices of used M5s are out of sight. They must
make good paper weights somewhere.

Incidentally, while in Berlin I saw a copy of the UR Leica, which was being
offered to the rich tourists for just that purpose. The price was well in
excess of $ 2000. Incidentally, there were many parts rattling around
inside. Some prop!

Best regards,

Chris

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: M5 is not a dog. Was Re: CL vs CLE features?)