Subject: Re: most used lens
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 00:21:30 -0500 (EST)

Marc--you wrote:

>The M system is all-but-infinitely flexible;  the R system is a lot more
>limited.

Whatever do you mean?  The M system is of very limited use compared to an
SLR--it cannot do closeups or use long lenses without the Viso, which, while
fun to use, is a pain compared to an SLR.  Also, since the Viso is long
gone, the lenses available for it get older and older (you don't see any 100
2.8  APO-Macro lenses there!).  In addition, it has no TTL flash, a very
basic light meter, and no automation of any kind.  These things may be from
one point of view virtues, but there are many jobs the camera simply cannot
do to contemporary standards--pro sports photography, architecture (no shift
lenses, inaccurate wide-angle clip-on finders), some kinds of
photojournalism (note the late lamented Eric Welch's situation--he has to
own a Canon SLR to do his work!), weddings (which require sophisticated
flash today),  etc., etc.  SLRs do all these things well.

I don't usually like Popular Photography very much, but I think they got it
right when they last tested the M6.  They asked themselves why anyone would
buy an M6.  In their answer, they compared the M6 to a classic sports
car--does what it does brilliantly well, cannot really do other things--and
SLRs to family sedans--can do a wide range of jobs.  The M's strengths are
travel (small size, unobtrusive) and people work (quiet, not intimidating,
accurate focus in low light).  While Leica attempted for many years to make
the RF cameras complete systems, there are reasons why the SLR won that
battle, and Leica gave it up.  I think we do best with the RFs if we use
them for what they do well, and don't try to seat 6 people in the sports car!
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850