Subject: M6 Quandry
From: Michael Reichmann <72077.70@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Nov 96 12:55:44 EST

Heres the quandary my friends.  I have a late model M6 with 35mm Summilux,
50mm Summicron and 90mm Elmar.  This is my travel system.  Light weight, superb
optics and highly appropriate for travel shooting. But, though I adore Leica
lenses,  frankly Im an SLR man at heart.

The main system for my primary photography is a Mamiya 645 Pro which I use for
landscape and nature.  I use this about 60% of the time.  In 35mm, (long lenses,
macro, projection, convenience), for a number of years I had a Nikon F4, with a
half dozen Nikkors, but, I wanted higher quality optics.

I agonized for ages over getting a Leica R system to replace the Nikon, but the
price of a half dozen R lenses was daunting.  Also, I found R bodies not to my
likeing.  (The new R8 is another story, but too late now.)

Therefore a while ago I bought a Contax RTS III and a family of Zeiss lenses for
less than half of what a comparable R system would have cost.  Regrets?  NONE.
Zeiss lenses are different than Leica, to be sure, but wonderful in their own
way.  Build quality and feel, which are both very important to me, are both
excellent.

So -- what to do with my M6 system?  Three expensive camera systems is just too
many.  I also need to get a second body for the Contax system as backup, and for
strictly mechanical operation, particularly cold weather, etc.  Im considering
the Contax S2.  I also want a couple more lenses to round out the Contax system.

The thought of selling the Leica system is appealing because it would give me
the cash to put together a comprehensive Contax 2 body, 7 lens system.  The S2
and some of the smaller lenses would fill in for the Leica for travel use, and I
would give up little if anything in terms of optical quality, which is the most
important thing for me.  But, on the other hand, the though of no longer owning
a Leica leaves me feeling bereft.

So dear friends.  The rational side of my says do it.  The emotional side says,
don't you dare give up that wonderful M system.  What to do?  (Im obviously
asking a biased group, but I look forward to your comments).

Michael