Subject: Re: Light, portable camera
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 18:57:59 -0500

Nope, they're glass lenses. In fact I remember on of their brochures showing
the glass polishing system and stating that EACH lens is individually
checked before AND after being mounted on the body.

One of the things most people don't think about when they think about Minox
is the quality necessay to have developed the 9.5mm camera's optics. If the
company has a claim to real fame, it may just be their ability to
manufacture excellent high quality consistent small lens optics.

If that were your criteria, you would still have to consider the half frame
series since they were packaged around the 35mm cassette. I understand that
this may be overreaching however, the FUJICA MINI which if I remember was a
full frame 35mm of about the same period as the Olympus half frames. It was
about the size of the Minox in legth and width but deeper because it had a
pancake lens rather than a collapsable. In fact, in that user context, it
was shallower than the Rollei and possibly the Minox. I had one years ago
and had entirelly forgotten about it until today when I saw one at the
camera show. When I realized what I had seen I went back, but too late. I do
remember being very impressed with its results, but was traded shortly after
for something or other.

Actually, I don't think the composition of the lens (glass vs. plastic)
would matter much in the body size, though the lens design could have some
impact on the design.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com