Subject: Re: Minolta CLE Repairs
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:12:42 -0500 (EST)

>  dlevy@worldy.com.plugplay.com writes
> >Seems to be some disagreement as to whether the CLE
> >repars are being supported any longer by Minolta USA.
>
> There may be a distinction between the long-term repairability of the
> CLE and that of the CL- I'm not too sure about this but I have read a
> couple of accounts of CLE users finding after some electronic
> malfunction that their camera was not repairable any more as parts were
> unobtainable. I haven't heard anything similar about the (Leica) CL. Any
> clarification of this appreciated.
> --
> Joe B.

I sent a CLE in to Mionlta about three months ago because the shutter
would not operate in "A" mode.  The shutter worked fine in Manual but
when in the Automatic Mode, it would open and not close.  The diode would
glow above the 1000 mark and would not change irrespective of light value.

Minolta returned the Camera saying that repair parts were not available
but they would take the Camera and replace it with an X700 (or something
like that) for $200 or $300 (I cant remember - the offer was so absurd I
drove it from my mind).  I wrote a note asking for help or suggestions in
this forum as well as rec.photo.35-mm.equipment but the only response I
had was to change batteries.

I sent the camera to a locl repairman who had done some delicate repairs
on an irreplaceable Lihjt meter on a Linhof 220 for me.  He repaired the
unit by disassembling and cleaning the contacts.  I've run about ten
rolls of film through it since and it has worked well.

I agree with those who say that the CLE is what the M6 should have been.

Hope this helps. Ed Kowaleski>