Subject: Re: Angenieux
From: matthew tichenor <mticheno@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:24:38 -0800

Angenieux never made a 35-70 for Leica but I'm sure the 45 to 90 was a
quality lens. The Vario Elmar 35-70 was originally made by Minolta, and
then in 1988 was produced in Germany. The lens is exactly the same
optically but the German lens does not have a rotating front element,
thus polariser friendly. The 35-70 is supposed to be an amzing zoom
lens. I believe that most, if not all of the lenses built by other
companies for the different Leica systems were built to Leica
specifications, so theoretically they should all be excellent quality
lenses, whether this is true in practice is another question. Has anyone
done any comparisons between lenses built by Leitz and ones built by
Schneider, Zeiss, Minolta etc. for Leica? If so I would be very anxious
to hear what you came up with.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Matthew