Subject: Re: Advice on a trade
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 21:38:37 +0100

Ben, I think it is a good idea to get a SLR.
I took a lot of pictures of my own baby-daughter, very much the way you
plan to do. This was in 1979, so I used a F2 with a 50/1,8 lens and
avaliable light/fast film. Those pictures are worth a lot for us today, but
I regret that I did not spend more time to arrange light and use my tripod
a little more. The depth of field is the critical point in my own pictures,
and a longer exposure time would permit larger depth of field. (I did not
like the idea of bursting a flash into the face of a little baby)
If you decide to get a SLR, a F3 is fine. However, a AF-SLR is even better!
With an AF-SLR you can move focus very fast, even around different parts of
a face. I have used F2, F3, F4 and N90, and today I would never buy a
manual Nikon, unless my budget forced me to. Another factor is the
automatic flash system for the AF-Nikons.
If I wanted a SLR today, I would get a N90x with suitable lens(es). The
Leica M is fine for everything up to 50 mm, but for macro and tele lenses a
SLR is best. For portraits I like the idea of a F3 + 85/1,4 or a N90 +
85/1,8 much better than M6 + 90/2. I gave my own N90x with lenses to my
daughter on her 16th birthday. She would never dream of using my M:s,
although I am happy that she likes B/W-pictures and my Focamat Ic. Yes,
small fingers grow too fast...

Good luck!
/Hans