Subject: Re: Advice on a trade
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 15:04:03 -0500

At 06:15 PM 22-12-96 -0700, Ben wrote:

>I've been considering a trade for some gear and would love to hear some
>input from those of you who have any.
>
>I've an M4-P that I picked up in a swap - my cost basis is quite low. Ser
>no. is 1620XXX. No dings, some scratching, clear VF, CLA'd this year, small
>chip on back door. Brassing at the lugs otherwise very pretty. I'm looking
>at a mint F3HP w/ 55/2.8 micro Nikkor, also mint.

I recently bought (from a friend, so I know the camera's history) a Nikon
F2, and I find that it is an excellent compliment to an existing Leica
system.  For one thing, it seems to have the same attention to detail as the
Leica does (and I'm not sure if the same can be said for future Nikons).
Also, it is a purely mechanical camera with a very durable shutter.  You can
probably find one for half the cost of an F3.  The standard meter (DP-1)
prism is not very durable, but then again, your M4-P has no meter at all.
On the other hand, I was able to pick up the DP-12 meter at a photo flea
market, and it is built to last forever (and is AI to boot, so I can meter
with the latest auto-focus lenses if I am so inclined).

If you want to take close-ups of your sons face, you may want a longer focal
length than the 55/2.8 because of potential perspective problems (did I
spell that right?), but that's up to you.

Price wise, the deal seems well balanced.

Dan C.