Subject: Re: Knobs falling off an M6
From: "Otto J. Anshus" <otto@cs.uit.no>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 12:23:28 +0100

> From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
> Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 14:08:27 -0500
> Subject: Re: Knobs falling of M6
>
> [snip]
> I am looking at my Leica (an M6 vintage ~ 1990, S/N 17044xxx , Wetzlar) as a
> write this, and I can see no small knobs on the hinged door of the camera,
> nor do see how the door can scratch anything when it is open.  Can you be a
> little more descriptive?

On my M6, S/N 1930xxx, I have (well, had) two small plastic (?) knobs on
the hinged film door. The knobs are located in each uppermost corner of
the door, right where the hinge connects to the body.

The caveties left by the knobs are quite shallow, and the amount of glue
used by Leica seems to have been very little judging from the glue marks
left in the cavities.

Without these knobs the whole outside length of the door edge touches
metal when open. I have a chrome ("silver" in Leica lingo) M6, and it
looks like the chrome is harder than the black finish on the film door.
So the scratches are along the edge of the film door.

And when talking about self scratching, a good friend of mine has a
black M6 where the plastic (?) part of the film advance lever has made
scratches in the black finish.

I guess I must get myself a titanum M6 next time. :-)

> Dan C.

Otto