Subject: Pictures of my children
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 96 11:59:35 -0800

I got a new camera for Christmas. Not an M6 (!), but an Olympus Mju-2 (new
version of the legendary P&S). It looks like the first Mju version, just
smaller, it is weatherproof, and it does appear very solid. It has a 35/2.8
lens and minimum focus is at 35cm, metering range is at EV1-17 - 4sec at
f2.8 to 1/1000 sec at f11 (unusual for a P&S!). It has a real-image
viewfinder, which is large and clear, with both a focus and flash ready
light. It has multibeam autofocus, which seems to be fast and accurate, and
spot metering, plus an artificial light colour balancing flash.

A very nice camera, excellent for making pictures of my children and my
wife. Excellent for family parties. It is so small that you carry it easily
under a jacket or in-pocket. I remember how *difficult* it was bringing my
M6 to family parties, not only body & lens, but also an additional flash.
"Where can I put it?...Take care, it's my Leica!" and so on.

I think this camera is great even for street and documentary photography. It
is silent and *very* discrete. "Everybody says" the lens is very good, so
now I am waiting to see the results of my first Tri-X and K200.

Many years ago I had a book by a danish traveler, Jakob Holt: "American
Pictures". He used an Olympus RF or P&S (from the 70s). It is one of the
best travel books I have ever seen on the daily, trivial life in the U.S.

I am pursuing my efforts on reducing my photographic equipment. It is
getting more and more "zen", and it is for sure a liberating feeling.

Oddmund