Subject: Re: Leica / Contax
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:44:06 -0500

I use Leica RF and when my son expressed interest in photography at age 5, I
looked around for a system he could grow with. Leica was not in the running
for a 5 year old. We (yes it was a joint decision) decided on a Yashica FX-3
with prime lenses. He now used 2 FX-3 bodies and Yashica lenses, both prime
and zoom. With the first set of photos, I was amazed at the quality of the
lenses. With each camera show, we're looking to expand the system. He has
been eyeing the 45mm Zeiss pancake lens and told me in lieu of a ETRi, I
could just get him an AX since his current lenses will fit, but I had to
promise him some Contax lenses for his birthday, etc. Oh, he wants to save
the YAshica for his children - nothing like a 9 year old planning ahead.

At 12:11 PM 12/31/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>Blake Zeigler, the product manager for Contax hangs out on the
>Photography Forum on CompuServe as well as REC/PHOTO/35mm.  You might
>look him up and ask for more info.
>
>Marc Small, (though I don't know if you two are on speaking terms at the
>moment) is an expert on things historical re Contax and might be able to
>shed some light on this as well.
>
>While I have the floor, I'm curious to learn who else on this list has
>and uses both Contax and Leica gear, particularly Contax on the SLR side
>and M series in RF.
>
>Happy New Year to all!
>

>>> The only new Zeiss lens for their SLRs is a limited production 50mm
f/1.2 that they introduced a few
>>>months ago. Scheesh.
>
>>I'd be interested in knowing just what this lens' background is.  My
>>brother, who has been a classic camera dealer for many years, suspects it
>>may be an old design resurrected, which makes it a good deal less exciting.
>
>>Thanks for your interesting posts!  Charlie

>Michael H. Reichmann
>E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.