Subject: Re: Something's Wrong Folks
From: Brook Acklom <brooka@c031.aone.net.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:37:12 +1000

At 02:54 PM 9/01/97 -0800, you wrote:
>after reading for the past several weeks about micl problems, whether
>they be battery caps, loctite, lens coatings, or plastic parts that used
>to be metal, the obvious occurred to me:
>
>Something's wrong at Solms folks:  quality and quality control have
>taken a vacation.  If Leica were a medium priced camera, this level of
>quality would be fine.
>
>But at these prices, no way.
>
>I suspect that a lot of the reason why Leica management makes these cost
>cutting decisions is that no one is complaining loud enough to them.
>
>its the old squeaky wheel theory.   if no one is complaining, they are
>getting away with it, so they keep it up.
>
>If LUG members make it our business to complain to Leica about quality
>lapses, we just might make an impact.   (whether individually, or as a
>group--whatever)
>
>I'm curious if others think it is a worthwhile effort.   Since sitting
>back and doing nothing is obviously not helping Leica, perhaps a lot of
>loud voices will!!!
>
>Stephen Gandy

I couldn't agree more. I've owned a camera store catering mainly to pro's &
Gov't for 25 years
and I believe the overall quality of equipment has declined steadily, mainly
over the past decade.
Quality Control is definitely not what it used to be in many (not all)
instances. Once upon a time
if you bought a top-line lens from Nikon, Canon, Leica, Hasselblad etc., you
were almost guaranteed quality of manufacture and performance in the field.
No more. The manufacturer's & importers hate people like I (retailers)
saying it, but many times we KNOW a particular lens for example is an
"el-softicon". Other times we find several items from a batch to be faulty
in some way.

The average buyer of photo gear simply doesn't have the opportunity to put
several examples of a body or a lens side by side and thoroughly test them.
If they did they might be unpleasantly surprised at some of the results.

No less a problem is the apathetic attitude of some manufacturers /
importers. I know a person who purchased a Brand *n* Macro lens and found it
to be soft compared to the 15 year old one he'd been using. The importer
exchanged it after a lot of shouting; the next one was just as bad, as was
Number 3. When the importer claimed all were 'within factory specs' he
dumped his entire Brand *n* system and bought Brand *l*.

Yes, camera manufacturers, like computer manufacturers and hi-fi
manufacturers make a LOT of their gear for the *mass market*, and some
Quality Control Officers seem to have been trained in the Mass Rejection
Principal.

Go for it; complain, scream, shout (but be constructive). If we don't, the
quality of products will continue to decline.

Brook Acklom, Managing Director
Tessar Photographics Pty Ltd
Suppliers of Photo & Digital Equipment
320 Waverley Road, East Malvern 3145, AUSTRALIA
http://www.tessar.com
Email: tessar@tessar.com