Subject: Re: Curious about leica??? Zoom on rangefinder?????
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 12:25:29 +0100

Hal Robinson wrote:
>   This may be a stupid question but I have been curious about it for some time
>   now..  Has a lens ever been made for a leica m that "zooms".  More like it
>   has the ability to change focal lengths while on the camera ie. from 35 to
>   50 to 90   I know you can't have a true zoom on a rangefinder but to have a
>   lens that will change from one focal length to another would be very helpful
>   especially when there is not a lot of time to change lenses.  Thanks,  Hal

>   ps. sorry if this is found truly stupid but I have been wondering for a long
>   time.

	   Hal Robinson

It does not seem to be a stupid question:
1. It is possible to have a zoom in a rangefinder (at least in theory): The
   Rangefinder needs a zoom itself. The 2.8/135 shows, that it is possible to
   change the focal length of the rangefinder.
2. What you seem to have in mind is something I would like to have too:

   some kind of a 'lens revolver', where you can mount several lenses and
   quickly change from one to another.
   I think old motion picture cameras used to have it and from Leica there was
   a universal viewfinder in this technique.

christoph

- --
 "I [..] am rarely happier then when spending an entire day programming
 my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise
 take me a good ten seconds to do by hand. Ten seconds, I tell myself,
 is ten seconds. Time is valuable and ten seconds' worth of it is well
 worth the investment of a days's happy activity working out a way to
 save it".             -- Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"