Subject: Re: 85-90 M and SM lenses
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:39:16 -0600

>Current conventional wisdom has it that the current Leica M 90 f2.8 Elmarit
>(not the tele-Elmarit you tested) is the best 90 Leica has ever made.  The
>raves have come from all over ... I think it's the choice if you can live
>with >the f2.8 maximum aperture.

Well, since it's four times the cost of the Nikkor, the fact that it's a
stop _slower_ is kind of a slap in the face, hence my interest in non-Leica
and hence possibly less expensive alternatives.

>I would argue that, if you are applying contemporary standards of judgment
>to >lens quality, you will not be happy with any of the older lenses you
>mention
>... Many of them are quite sharp, but all of them will fall down in
>contrast >and saturation as compared with today's models ... To each his
>own--but, as I >say, if you apply contemporary standards, considering
>sharpness, saturation, >and contrast, I think you'll be happier with
>current lenses.

I'm sure you are right, and I'm also sure I will not find an early-design,
non-multi-coated screw-mount lens with the general optical excellence of a
Nikkor lens that was introduced in the early 1980s. BUT... I shoot only
black and white, and much of my work is done indoors and in situations
where only a very small portion of the image is even _meant_ to be in sharp
focus. If the lens renders the central portion of the field sharply at all
apertures, and if the rendition of out-of-focus areas is smooth rather than
lumpy, I'll be happy.

>Have fun with your search--Charlie

I have already been offered the opportunity to purchase a used Russian
Jupiter 85/2 thread-mount lens for less than what I will probably have to
pay for the TM -> bayonet adapter, so the search has indeed been
interesting.

- -- Nick

Nicholas Hartmann                               hartmann@interaccess.com
P.O. Box 1005                                   73057.724@compuserve.com
Oak Park, IL  60304                                       (708) 524-1191
USA                                                   fax (708) 524-1355

Technical and scientific translator:  German, French, Italian -> English