Subject: Re: 85-90 M and SM lenses
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:45:38 -0600

Stephen Gandy wrote:

>While the current 90/2.8 is getting raves, the 90/4 for the CLE is also
>a great lens.  Do not confuse this with the earlier 90/4 for the CL,
>they are NOT the same thing.
>
>Many people praise the current 90/2,  but a few say the older/larger
>90/2 is better.  Don Chatterton is among them.
>
>In Leica screw mount, either of the 85/2 or 105/2.5 are great lenses of
>their day, although probably not up to current Leitz standards, still
>great picture takers, though.

Thank you for the valuable information, Stephen. Can I assume the "85/2 or
105/2.5" you mention are Nikkor lenses in LTM? Joel Tlumak has said in a
private e-mail that you know a lot about Nikkor optics of this vintage; is
the 85/2 some sort of adaptation of the Zeiss Sonnar design, or am I
completely misunderstanding everyone?

All the expertise floating around here has my head spinning: I am eagerly
awaiting Marc Small's book so I have something to refer to before making
any decisions.

- -- Nick

Nicholas Hartmann                               hartmann@interaccess.com
P.O. Box 1005                                   73057.724@compuserve.com
Oak Park, IL  60304                                       (708) 524-1191
USA                                                   fax (708) 524-1355

Technical and scientific translator:  German, French, Italian -> English