Subject: Foam "thingies"
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:01:06 -0800 (PST)

At 03:01 PM 30/01/97 +0000, you wrote:

>        The foam gasket at the film window is a serious problem with
>the R3 as well as the R4. Leica from Northvale readily mails two replace
>ment gaskets free of charge.It is amazing that a more lasting solution
>has not been offered by a firm of such outstanding reputation.
>
>           Andrew Jordan
>            Clark,NJ

Leica (Kindermann) in Canada also sends out free "foamies".  I found out
when the foam film-window gasket failed in my R5.

But don't put too much blame on Leitz/Leica. (Or any other camera
manufacturer, for that matter - for they all have the problem.) The foam
manufacturers claimed that this would not happen. They sold the audio
business on foam as a replacement for the rubber surrounds in woofers, and
made the same claims.  I now do a steady trade in re-foaming old woofers
(which commonly fail [rot] at anywhere from 7 to 15 years)!

Incidentally, they say (remembering that 90% of the lies in this world begin
with the words "they say") that the new foams won't do that.  We'll see...

Cheers!

David Young             |  Who is General
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  Failure, and why
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  is he reading my disk?