Subject: Re: 85-90 M and SM lenses
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:59:07 -0800

Nicholas,
Current wisdom is that modern Leica lenses are optimized for color
depth, not sharpness.  My Nikkors are very sharp, but don't have the
color and especially the flare control of Leica.  Look at Salgado's book
"Workers" or especially Marc Riboud's old book "Faces of North Vietnam"
and you will see a soft richness in the b/w that doesn't seem to come
out of Nikkor or Canon lenses.  It is not about sharpness.

Recently I shot an informal natural light color portrait of daughter
with both Nikkor 105macro and a borrowed R4 and 90 2.8.  Both were
absolutely tack sharp.  But the Leica image just glowed with life. The
difference was stunning.

Donal Philby
San Diego