Subject: 35mm Summilux
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:38:01 -0500

Andrew Jordon ased for opinions re the 35mm Summilux vs the Summicron.

I havn't used the Summicron for many years, but when I did I made my
living with it.  In a word -- superb.

A few years ago when I returned to using the Leica M system as as an
amateur rather than a working pro, I bought the Summilux.  No regrets
whatsoever. Except at f/1.4, the lens is superb -- every bit as sharp
and contrasty as the Summicron.  Colour saturation is first class! I
would venture to say that from f/2.8 onward these lenses are essentially
identical in perceived performance.  Lens tests that I have seen bare
this out as well.  Also, the lens is very light and small.  A perfect
travel lens.

From time to time one hears people denegrating the 35mm Summilux because
at f/1.4 - f/2.0 it is soft and lacking in contrast.  While true, this
says nothing about the lens at usual apertures, where it sings.  I don't
need f/1.4 often, but when I do it's there -- unlike with the Summicron
:-) and even then there are situations where this quality can be an
asset.

The ASPH is clearly a superior lens at the first couple of stops, but
after that any advantage disappears.  The ASPH's cost and bulk are also
factors.

Regards,

Michael H. Reichmann
E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net