Subject: Re: R8 - M6
From: gregm@world.std.com (Greg Mironchuk)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:07:03 -0400

At 7:39 PM 2/9/97, Ian Stanley wrote:

>        I am now considering the purchase of a new camera and am curious
>about the new R8.  No good photo magazines are available here so I haven't
>read any test results of this new camera (not that I believe all that the
>magazines try to tell me).  What are people hearing about this camera?  How
>do R lenses compare with the M's?  Thanks in advance.

I'm not knocking the R8... but here, in The States, NOBODY ever buys the
first model year of a General Motors automobile or truck... they wait until
GM works the "bugs" out, in the next model year.

Personally, I have observed that the same is true of Nikon Cameras. The
very first F3's, F4's, and... apparently... F5's all had/have problems that
were corrected in subsequent issues.

My advice is... wait 'til next year.

At this point in time, and technology... I would suggest that the lenses
are very sharp. Don't worry about it.

                                                Greg.

                                                      Greg Mironchuk
                                              409 Central St, Saugus, MA 01906