Subject: Re: Newsgroup
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:12:30 +0000

On 17 Feb 97 at 12:16, Marc James Small wrote:

> I occasionally get the WINMAIL.DAT files you speak of, which are not a
> concern.  I did not receive any of the other postings of which you complain.
> Are you on a 'special' LUG of some sort, or am I being picked on?

Marc, you obviously never saw a WINMAIL.DAT turn up in a
digest....8-))
They *are* annoying, even in real time, requiring several extra
operations to read (which I, and many others mostly refuse to).
It's more than just the bandwidth that makes those Micro$oft blurbs
so irritating....
On some lists they never even appear, because the list software
bounces attachements without mercy. IMO the only way to force people
to solve it. Size limits to keep other garbage out is also very
slick, perhaps with listowner-forwarding & -approval.

Not that any of this is really an argument in favor of a
newsgroup....it's just a modern plague one cannot fight hard & often
enough....8-))
- --
Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

      The desire to understand
is sometimes far less intelligent than
     the inability to understand