Subject: Re: Price for M6J Leica
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:07:35 +0100

Friends,

The M6J is a different camera than the M6. It's by far more stable,
more quiet (more pleasure, BTW). And it has been produced in a limited
series (1640 pieces made, numbered individually, yyyy-nn, yyyy for
one production year of M Leicas, nn is a number out of 01 .. 40, 40
complete years(= 41) times 40 numbers makes 1640 pieces, add one or
two pieces with 0 numbers made for Leica's own museum).

(Mine is 1966-30, BTW. I've got a M6 chrome, this M6J and a M4
press/military with reinforced winding mechanism. M6J and the special
M4 are even, head to head in the smoothness competition, far ahead of
the "ordinary" M6. Really great cameras; I've paid a fortune for them
- - but I don't feel sorry about it. In fact, I'd do it again ...)

The fact which makes it outstanding from the crowd of
"Bruckner"-type Leica models is, that it's a technically outstanding
camera, which combines the goodies of M3 and M6.
It's really a pity that so many of them will sit in boxes at
collectors - and never will go out and take photographs ...

Original price was somewhere starting at 10.000 DM (and more ...)
 with lens (also numbered); 8000 US$ sound like a good price to me.

As the M6J was _not_ just another M6 with special engraving I'm
pretty sure that Leica _lost_ money on the sales of the 1600+ M6Js.
(They got that money back several times by increased M6 sales, be
sure.)

HTH and have a fine day
Hubert

> Date:          Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:08:55 -0500
> To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> From:          Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
> Subject:       Re: Price for M6J Leica

> At 03:21 PM 17-02-97 -0500, Richard Clompus wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >If I wanted to purchase a mint condition M6J Leica, what would the going
> >rate be???
> >
> >I never thought about purchasing this camera - but then again it may be
> >better than just getting a second M6 body.
>
> Tamarkin has a new one listed at $8000.  A mint condition would probably be
> close to this value.  A shame that it is so high, considering that it
> probably didn't cost Leica that much more to produce than a regular M6.
>
> Dan C.

* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/