Subject: Re: Doubt on state of my used M6
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:53:07 -0500

At 12:16 PM 20-02-97 +0100, Nicolas Levinton. wrote:
>Hi friends.
>
>Since I bought a used M6, I am more than pleased with the results. I am in
love . Who said that money can=B4t buy love? ;-)
>However, yesterday I looked at the inside through the lens hole, without
the lens inserted (sorry for my ignorance of english terminology) and there
is something that surprised me and put me in serious doubt:

>Clearly identifiable I can see: the metering lens, the metering white
circle, and 5 screws two of which are cross-shaped (+). Of this two screws,
there is one that is bigger than the other and not black, but dark grey.
Well, to the sides of this screw, there are quite noticeable rests of dark
black glue!!=20
>Before taking it to the dealer that sold it to me to ask him for an
explanation, and maybe going through some embarassment, I wanted to ask you
guys if this is normal, or if any of you knows what it is. I don=B4t have=
 the
chances of seeing many Leicas around here in Madrid, so I thought that a
quick check with you would be best.

My understanding is that the screw in the lens mount at the 12 o'clock
position is sealed at the factory with some wax with the letter "L" stamped
in it.  When the camera is repaired at an authorized repair facility, the
wax is replaced with new wax but without the "L".  However, I was also told
that there were periods when no wax was used. =20

Dan C.