Subject: Re: 40 years on
From: MBell@mail.utexas.edu (Michael Bell)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:13:30 -0600 (CST)

I too am one that prefers things that last such as Leica cameras.

In my stereo system I have Dynaco tube equipment that dates back to the
late 50s and early 60s and a McIntosh mono preamp (for 78s) that dates to
the late 40s and early 50s.  They are all of simple design and well built.
I see no reason they should not last for several more decades.  So far the
supply of tubes is still good, hopefully it will stay that way.

The used market for old tube equipment is beginning to parallel that of the
used Leica market.  Prices keep going up and up.  Some of the prices have
gotten really out of hand.

I have a Columbia Grafonola (competition to the Victrola) that dates to
before 1920.  The sound quality leaves something to be desired of course,
but the thing still works as it was intended.  It is also a beautiful piece
of woodwork.  Some people are suprised to hear that so many such antique
phonographs still exist.  They were built so well that it really required
abuse to do them in.

Also look at the 78s and LPs.  If well cared for they will last well over
100 years.  CDs will not come close to that despite the claim of "perfect
sound forever."

Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu