Subject: Uncoopertive Minilux
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 09:00:27 +0545 (+0545)

Hello to all,

        My Minilux has just let me down.  For some reason it will not load
colour negative or tranparency films - only TRI-X.  BTW "only TRI-X is not a
slur against that film - it is my personal favourite".  When I insert the
other films the thing whirs away, stops and then the frame counter flashes
the number one continually and nothing else happens.  I loaded and shot 2
rolls of TRI-X and the exposures were on so I don't think that it went to a
default DX reading or anything like that.  I have also checked and cleaned
all contacts and istalled a new and tested battery with the same results.

        Any ideas?  There doesn't seem to be a Leica repair shop here.
Question #2 - why did I buy a camera that relies on such technology?

        There have been some questions lately about the build quality of the
M4-P.  This is the only M I have ever used, I only have one body and it has
been functioning for 12 years under hard use in adverse conditions.  It has
always and still functions flawlessly.  I don't know what some of the others
are like to use but I am happy with the M4-P.  During this same period I
have used 3 Olympus M4's and 1 Nikon F90X - all of them finally had to be
retired.  The Leica is still going.  I read a quote the other day - "I use a
Nikon and a Lecia, that way if one of them breaks down I will always have
the Leica".

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal