Subject: Re: Off Topic--Fiber Flattening
From: gregm@world.std.com (Greg Mironchuk)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 10:22:05 -0400

At 10:30 PM 3/1/97, fconley wrote:
>Anyone have any success stories with flattening agents for fiber based
>papers? Any other techniques (besides sticking them in the middle of the
>Oxford English Dictionary)? These are prints I don't want to mount on
>boards.

Back in the Old Days, when I was using fiber-based paper (Ektamatic
Stabilization SC paper... in a Spiratone machine, or in trays. It sure
looked GREAT when tray processed...), I used to dry them in blotter rolls.
I'd wrap the roll around a wide cardboard "tube", to increase the radius of
the roll, and then stick the wet prints into the blotter material.

It's the same principle as Hair Curlers. The wider the radius of the
curler, the more apparently straight the hair will be.

Eventually, after they were dry (24 hours... usually), I'd take them out,
and leave them to Gravity and Humidity to "final flatten" them.

I've been printing RC, exclusively (poor darkrooms, and better RC papers),
for a dozen years... I'm not sure if blotter rolls are even available,
anymore.

I NEVER had any good luck with print flattening goop. As far as my
experience went, it just made the emulsion surface of the print stickier,
and "hardened in" the wavy edges of the prints.

                                                Greg.

P.S.... My favorite RC paper is Luminos Flexicon VCP... which has a very
fine pearl surface, that is almost indistinguishable from a fiber print
that is "air dried glossy". The "paper" base is also a wee bit thinner than
Multigrade... it almost feels like a paper print... not a plastic one. Good
tone... especially highlight seperation... and kind of a warm-ish color.
Cheaper than Ilford or Kodak, as well!

                                                      Greg Mironchuk
                                              409 Central St, Saugus, MA 01906
                                              617-941-8030 * 617-362-7417 page