Subject: Re: 70-180mm 2,8 + polarising or uv filter
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Mar 97 19:55:20 EST

<<<And what about comparing the cost of even the most expensive polarizing
filter to the cost of the 70-180 APO lens that you'll be putting it on?>>>>>

Hi Dan,

Well that is always a consideration I have when buying a polarizing filter, as
what is the point of buying the "cheapest" filter to place on an $8000. dollar
lens.  That really doesn't make sense at all.

The B&W filters are definitely a top cut filter from my experience and I maybe
wrong, but I heard they produce the "Leica filters".  Don't quote me for heavens
sake, just a word I was given one day by a rep some time ago.

I'm not a big fan of filters on any of my lenses, (other than a polarizer for
travel assignments and making pretty scenics), as I see them merely as another
two glass surfaces to clean and scratch, certainly UV's and skylights.

I've heard the "protect the front element" story to death by some camera store
salesmen and a few photographers, but I have to ask, "what do you do, go around
banging the front elements as you walk around?"  Sure on occasion while working
around the salt water one can get spray on the front element, but it'll wipe
clean and I've yet to find any deterioration from it.

But it is certainly folly to buy cheap filters for any lens that we buy these
days, it would be better to buy more film and have fun shooting than throw the
money away on cheap glass.

ted