Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives--Reliability
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 08:52:18 -0800

I have owned a few Contaxes, but not really a lot, so I don't feel I am
qualified to write about their reliablity.

But I have owned a LOT of Leicas, Nikons and Canon Rangefinders, and
what I have learned from experience flies in the face of conventional
Leica Folklore.

If these three products are used regularly and given a CLA (Clean
Lubricate Adjust) every few years or so, each are very reliable
dependable professional units.  In this contax (eh excuse me, context),
all of their performances are essentially identical.  In other words,
Leica's reputed reliability advantage doesn't really exist since all
three work GREAT given these conditions.

However if things really get tough, ie humidity/dirt/grim/rain, I was
told by a Vietnam War Photographer that the Leicas jam a lot.  That is
why he shot with Nikon Rangefinders, which he found in those conditions
to be more reliable than anything else--including the also available
Nikon F. That photographer currently works for the LA Times, and I was
lucky enough to be able to buy his wartime outfit.

SELF DESTRUCT LENSES:  Even with regular and careful maintenance, Leica
Lenses of the 50's and 60's suffer from an incredible fogging problem
like no other lenses ever.  I am told the reason is that they used a
whale oil lubricant which migrates to the glass.  Once there, the
residue facilitates fungus growth.  Besides this problem, the
collapsible 50 Summicrons have a front coating which is VERY soft and
easily scratched with even the most careful cleaning.  In other words,
the excessively soft coating was defective the moment it left the
factory.  The other chrome lenses of this period also have soft coatings
which are easily damaged, but not nearly so soft as the collapsible
Summicron.    Experienced buyers carry small flashlights with them to
shine through the lenses to check for this notorious problem.   Leica
Lenses of the 70's and later largely don't suffer from these problems.

In contrast, Nikon and Canon RF lenses of the 50's and 60's seldom have
problems with fogging, fungus or scratches.  Nikon lenses are usually
perfectly clear after all of those years.  For some reason, Canon RF
lenses seem to be slightly behind Nikon in terms of scratches or
fungus--but still far ahead of Leica lenses of the same period.

SELF DESTRUCT SHUTTERS: Leica Screw Mount bodies have original shutter
curtains which self destruct over a 30-40 year time span.  The
rubberized material cracks and must be replaced.   The Nikon shutter
material used in the early Ones was also very bad.  The Nikon material
continued to be poor--ie of contemporary Leica quality--through the
Nikon S until the introduction of the S2 in 1954.  From that time on,
Nikon cloth shutter last and last without cracking.   While Leica seems
to have greatly improved their shutter materials with the advent of the
M3, I have still had to replace a fair amount of M3 and M2 shutter
curtains due to age cracks.  In this context of extended time test, it
is too soon to be sure If the M4 and later cameras have a more durable
original curtain material in them the M3/M2.

Canon and Nikon introduced metal shutter curtains in the late 50's for
the ultimate in curtain durablity.   Although very slightly quieter, the
Leica M shutter curtains in even the latest M6 have no chance of lasting
as long as the Nikon or Canon shutter curtains of the late 50's--given
normal wear.

SLEEPING LEICA RF SHUTTERS DIE, NIKON and CANON DON'T.   If you store a
Leica Screw Mount, a Leica M,  a Canon RF and a Nikon RF under the same
conditions for twenty years and then bring them out to the light of
day,  90% of the Leicas will need shutter overhauls because the slow
speeds will be inoperative and the high speeds will be badly off.  The
Leica lubricants congeal, and that is the end of it.  In contrast,
amazingly, the Nikon and Canon shutters work fine 90% of the time with
the exception of the Nikon S of the early 50's.

I know most of you will never try this "twenty year test,"  but I try it
practically every week in buying older cameras.  This has lead me to
believe that in practice and over the long haul, that the Nikon and
Canon RF, especially the Nikon, are more dependable and reliable than
Leica RFs.

Please keep in mind that my comments are restricted to durability--not
other Leica strong points like optical quality or Viewfinder
performance.

Stephen Gandy