Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives--Reliability
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 Mar 97 15:40:27 EST

Stephen Gandy wrote:

<<However if things really get tough, ie humidity/dirt/grim/rain, I was
told by a Vietnam War Photographer that the Leicas jam a lot.  That is
why he shot with Nikon Rangefinders, which he found in those conditions
to be more reliable than anything else->>>>

Gee that's strange, I was in the humidity and grunge of the place and didn't
experience any of those things. But to each his own.

<<<SELF DESTRUCT LENSES:  Even with regular and careful maintenance, Leica
Lenses of the 50's and 60's suffer from an incredible fogging problem like no
other lenses ever.>>>>>>

May I ask where you acquired this information? Because as far as I'm concerned
it is a bunch of poppycock nonsense and I say that from experience of owning and
working with this gear for a very long time.

<<<SELF DESTRUCT SHUTTERS: Leica Screw Mount bodies have original shutter
curtains which self destruct over a 30-40 year time span.  The rubberized
material cracks and must be replaced.>>>>>

Do you have any idea how many thousands of rolls a working photographer would
pump through a camera in that period of time? Hell I would have just worn the
camera out long before the 30-40 years. Come on get serious, hell I've got a
Leica made in 1932 an it works just fine today and having looked through the
lens and a few I own from the '50s and I don't see any thing you are talking
about!

At this point I had to drop to the end of your post only to find out what the
hell the point of this is! Surprise it is about "collecting" and not working
with.

I'm sure the many collectors in here will feel just hully gully over the
information, but it's almost of no use to someone it works the bejeezeeas out of
his Leica's and has done so for many years.

<<I know most of you will never try this "twenty year test,"  but I try it
practically every week in buying older cameras.>>>>>

So basically what are you trying to tell us?  And yes I have one of over twenty
years for a test, but mine is the test of working time!

ted grant