Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #415
From: Doug Richardson <meditor@demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:31:29 -0000

Stephen Gandy wrote:

>the camera, the wartime Xenon, and the variable finder all have
>Arrows engraved on them pointed foward.  What were their purpose?

Stephen,

	   These arrows are almost certainly British Government markings. For
centuries, Britain has used the "Broad Arrow" mark to indicate "government
property". I sem to recall that the sides of the arrow form a triangle of
around 60 - 70 degrees, and are about two-thirds the length of the centre
line of the arrow marking.

If I'm right, your Leica served with the German Navy during the war, and
was either captured during the war or seized following the war, then taken
into British military service. The British Ministry of War bought every
Leica and Contax it could find in the early stages of the war, and
purchased others (presumably via a neutral nation) during the war.

Regards,

Doug