Subject: Re: opportunities in Austin
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:47:49 -0500 (EST)

<<
         I will be in the Austin, Texas area on April 6 thru 10. Is their
 anything in particular, other than the wildflowers, that I should try to
 visit and photograph? Also, are their any camera shops that I should visit?
 Any advice from the group would be appreciated.

 Robert

 Robert Sproul, Lab Supervisor           sproul@sc.edu
 Department of Physics & Astronomy       Ph:  803-777-7355
 University of South Carolina            Fax: 803-777-3065
 Columbia, S.C. 29208                    PSC Rm. 508

There is lots to see and photograph in the Austin area, it being one of the
most scenic areas of Texas.  The University, the state capitol building and
grounds present a lot of subject matter if you like people shots and
architecture.  There is also a bridge over the Colorado river that houses
thousands of bats, and it is quite the "in" thing to do to go there in the
evening to see the bats fly out of their habitat for their evening feeding.
 Take lots of Kodachrome 200!  Last time I was there, I took the kids
swimming at Barton Springs, which is a municipal swimming pool entirely fed
by spring water.  It is huge, and the water is great in the middle of the
summer when it is 98 deg. in the shade.  I'm afraid it will be a tad cool
this time of year, but there may bee lots of people shooting opportunities in
the park.  One of my fondest memories of the trip was spending a dummer
evening with my boys, R5 and a few rolls of Kodachrome 200, shooting a
Russian dance troup that had set up a folk dance show in the park.  The light
was perfect, and I got some great shots.

While you are in the area, don't miss going to Fredricksburg, the LBJ Ranch
area, the Perdenales State Park and the New Braunfels-San Marcos area, which
are all within easy driving distance.  The wildflower shooting will be great,
and there is a lot to see.  The State of Texas Travel Office will send you a
book free of charge that gives a lot of detail.  I will look for the 800
number, and if you are interested, e-mail me privately, and I will give it to
you....I don't have it handy just now.

A camera store to visit is Precision Camera and Video located at 3810 North
Lamar, Austin, TX 78756 (512) 467-7676.  Last time I was there, they had a
fair assortment of used Leica stuff in decent condition.  I am still drooling
over the 100 APO Macro that I SHOULD have bought 2 years ago, but couldn't
afford the ticket.  The sales people seemed knowledgeable.  Have a great
trip!!

JayPax@aol.com