Subject: Re: Burning film (was Leica bashing on usenet groups)
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 Mar 97 10:28:22 EST

<<<>Responding to:  Kari Eloranta:>>>>>>>

Kari:

An apology is in order. Unfortunately I jump started off your back due to the
comments of another. And I shouldn't have assumed anothers experience from what
I perceived it to be. :)  Please accept.

<<<<I quoted the NG figure just because many people I have mentioned it didn't
know it and found it ratherinteresting. One shot out of 30 rolls>>

I thought you might find this an interesting number:  LOOK magazine, now
defunct, used 8 photographs for a feature on Japan and the photographer, Paul
Fusco screened and edited 9000 35mm frames before they got to the printed 8.
Some of those numbers came about from one situation where he road on the back of
a motorcycle, shooting a pretty Japanese girl riding on another bike as they
weaved through downtown Tokyo traffic. It was a wild ride to say the least, but
the one image was so fantastic, it was worth the many rolls it took to acquire.
Blurrs and stopped action!

As I said and now understand you do, shoot many rolls during any feature
assignment with the biggest chore not being the shooting, but the post
processing editing of hundreds or thousands of Kodachrome or Ektachrome slides.

Although it may have appeared that I shoot only B&W in a "nearby hospital", my
assignments much like yours are all over the country and in many parts of the
world. I fortunately rarely think about the cost of film, as I'm assigned to do
the projects and film costs are born by the client. A very nice way to have an
expense not to worry about, as I'm sure you are aware. :)  Always nice to have
someone else footing the bill, if it weren't for that fact of any assignment,
many of those I've done during the past years would not have occured.

<<<In your reply you first deny this and then acknowledge it. What
exactly is your point?>>>>>

I'm a slightly better photographer and write atrociously! :)

<<Your condescending lecturing wasn't called for.>>>>>

And I apologize again for "lecturing in a condescending manner". Not my usual
style. :)

ted.